School Board Member Code of Ethics
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOVERNANCE, POWERS AND DUTIES
1. SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER/SUPERINTENDENT LEADERSHIP TEAM GUIDELINES.
AS A MEMBER OF THE SCHOOL BOARD, I WILL:
1. Attend school board meetings.
2. Come to the meetings prepared for discussion of the agenda items.
3. Listen to the opinions and views of others (including, but not limited to, other school board
members, administration, staff, students, and community members).
4. Vote my conscience after informed discussion, unless I abstain because a conflict of interest exists.
5. Support the decision of the school board, even if my position concerning the issue was different.
6. Recognize the integrity of my predecessors and associates and appreciate their work.
7. Be primarily motivated by a desire to provide the best possible education for the students of my school district.
8. Inform myself about the proper duties and functions of a school board member.
IN PERFORMING THE PROPER DUTIES OF A SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER, I WILL:
1. Focus on education policy as much as possible.
2. Remember my responsibility is to set policy – not to implement policy.
3. Consider myself a trustee of public education and do my best to protect, conserve, and advance its progress.
4. Recognize that my responsibility, exercised through the actions of the school board as a whole, is to see that the schools are properly run – not to run them myself.
5. Work through the superintendent – not over or around the superintendent.
6. Delegate the implementation of school board decisions to the superintendent.
TO MAINTAIN RELATIONS WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF THE SCHOOL BOARD, I WILL:
1. Respect the rights of others to have and express opinions.
2. Recognize that authority rests with the school board in legal session – not with the individual
members of the school board except as authorized by law. Chapter 1(2)
3. Make no disparaging remarks, in or out of school board meetings, about other members of the school board or their opinions.
4. Keep an open mind about how I will vote on any proposition until the board has met and fully discussed the issue.
5. Make decisions by voting in school board meetings after all sides of debatable questions have
6. Insist that committees be appointed to serve only in an advisory capacity to the school board.
IN MEETING MY RESPONSIBILITIES TO MY COMMUNITY, I WILL:
1. Attempt to appraise and plan for both the present and future educational needs of the school
district and community.
2. Attempt to obtain adequate financial support for the school district’s programs.
3. Insist that business transactions of the school district be ethical and open.
4. Strive to uphold my responsibilities and accountability to the taxpayers in my school district.