State law and district policy make families and the school jointly responsible for transportation safety. Therefore, I ask you to join with us in reviewing rules for the bus and bus stop with your child(ren) and insisting on their compliance with them. Additionally, we ask that you remind your child(ren) to observe these two (2) important safety precautions.
1. When getting off the bus, stand well clear of it until it leaves. Never go to the mailbox until the bus is gone. A child could easily slip and fall beneath the wheels unnoticed, especially when it is icy.
2. Never cross the road in front of the bus until the driver gives a hand signal indicating it is safe to cross.
We have never had a serious accident or student injury. The school district and transportation department make every effort to prevent any type of accident or injury from happening. Our drivers do all they can to insure a safe ride and road crossing. Please help them by reinforcing safe, courteous, and orderly behavior on the bus and at the bus stop.
RULES AT THE BUS STOP
1. Get to your bus stop five (5) minutes before your scheduled pick up time. The school bus will not wait for late students.
2. Respect the property of others while waiting at your bus stop.
3. Keep your arms, legs and belongings to yourself.
4. Use appropriate language.
5. Stay away from the street, road, or highway when waiting for the bus. Wait until the bus stops before approaching the bus.
6. After getting off the bus, move away from the bus.
7. If you must cross the street, always cross in front of the bus where the driver can see you. Wait for the driver to signal to you before crossing the street.
8. No fighting, harassment, intimidation, or horseplay.
9. No use of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
BUS RULES OF CONDUCT
1. The bus driver is in full charge of the bus and the pupils. Pupils must obey the driver immediately and without question.
The following procedures will be used when students fail to obey the district’s transportation rules of conduct.
Upon first report, student will meet with the driver and school administration. Parents will be notified of the content of this discussion.
OTHER BUS DISCIPLINE
Based on the severity of a student’s conduct, more serious consequences may be imposed at any time. Depending on the nature of the offense, consequences such as suspension or expulsion from school may also result from school bus/bus stop misconduct.
Records of school bus/bus stop misconduct will be forwarded to the individual school building and will be retained in the same manner as other student discipline records. Reports of serious misconduct will be provided to the Department of Public Safety. Records may also be maintained in the transportation office.
If you are new to the district, please call Sue at 584-4255. During the school year if a student is not going to ride the bus, please notify the driver prior to the pick-up time.
Riding the school bus is a privilege, not a right. Students are expected to follow the same behavioral standards while riding school buses as they are expected on school property, school activities, functions and events. All school rules are in effect while a student is riding the bus or at the bus stop. Rules of conduct are posted in the bus and explained by each bus driver and students are expected to strictly observe them. Courtesy to fellow passengers and following safety procedures are essential. The building principal or the principal’s designee for school bus/bus stop misconduct will impose consequences. In addition, all school bus/bus stop misconduct will be reported to the District’s transportation safety director. Serious misconduct will be reported to the Department of Public Safety and may be reported to local law enforcement.